Tuesday, May 15, 2007

1.) Aunt Monie

Book Title: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
Pages:1-60 since last week; 60 since semester

This is the introduction of David Sedaris' life. David grows up in a middle-class family and realizes he's gay, and visits his dying aunt's rich home and wishes he had all of her wealth.

So far this book has been pretty tame to me. Nothing exciting has really happened. But I like the idea of David recalling past events of each of his family members and telling an individual story about each of them. The further I get into this book the more I understand its title: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. This is David Sedaris' own account of each of his family members. Each of them have a unique personality and not all of them always particularly like David. Aunt Mildred is described as someone who is grossly wealthy, and although she has all of these riches she lives in loneliness and is stingy around everyone she meets. She just reminds me of so many people I've encountered who are just like her, since this book is based on Sedaris' life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home