Thursday, May 31, 2007

3.) Quirks

Book Title: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
Pages:120-180 since last week; 180 since semester

David visits his sister he barely talks to and later on attends his little brother's wedding, the one out of the four children David thought would least likely wed & have children first.

David's sister Lisa seems relatively normal throughout the story. The only weird quirk she has is that she believes absolutely anything that is told to her, and has a mild case of OCD. Since she's extremely gullible, she believed that the governemnt's been listening onto everyone's phone calls, and that people were able to sneak into her home. This reminds me of my friend--she has this strange paranoia that everyone is out to get her, and though I know it's nothing serious, I always wonder how people get to believing in weird things like that. I have another friend who cringes at the sight of pennies sitting in a puddle of water, and another who hates to see people rip the bark off of trees because she thinks it puts the trees in pain. I think everyone has a weird little quirk like that, and I don't think anyone can really explain it well enough for someone else to fully understand. So, we'll all just have those weird little quirks, even if no one else can understand. David's little brother Paul is the polar opposite of David himself. He's the athletic, manly, brute alpha-male, and he's so irresponsible in all his actions David would've never thought he would be the first to have children. I thought Paul was the most interesting character so far because he would talk to his baby in a soft cutesy baby voice but what he would be saying would be the curses and slurs he's normally accustomed to. I wonder how his kid turned out today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home