Thursday, May 31, 2007

6.) 2nd Generation

Book Title: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Pages: 62-120 since last week; 377 since semester

Desdemona and Lefty settle in a distant cousin's house in Detroit and Lefty ends up working for the cousin's husband while Desdemona stays at home. Things get complicated after Lefty is set up with a factory job, and we find out that Desdemona is pregnant.

Sourmelina is Desdemona's cousin who moved to America years before them, and she married Jimmy Zizmo, a short, stocky man. Jimmy sets Lefty up with a factory job but later Lefty is fired because the boss finds out that Jimmy has a police record. I know that the baby Desdemona is pregnant with is not yet our main character, Calliope, but that it's probaby her father/mother. This means we're probably going to read about his life story too. This novel seems to be separated into three books, and I've just finished "Book 1", which was Desdemona and Lefty's past living in Europe. Now, we're in America and the stories are slowly getting more close to the present. I never thought I would enjoy a book like this--a book with a history that's set in old times. This book kind of reminds me of the books we would read in class, because of how it's written so elegantly and full of detail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home