Thursday, May 31, 2007

7.) Milton & Tessie

Book Title: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Pages: 120-180 since last week; 437 since semester

Fast forward a little, and Desmonda and Lefty give birth to their son Milton, the future hot-dog king of Michigan, Ohio and Florida, who seduces his cousin Tessie by playing his clarinet against her bare skin in lots of compromising positions. Milton and Tessie know that they're cousins, but they don't know that Milton's parents are brother and sister.

This story's web just gets even more tangled and tangled as we go further down into the generations. It's no wonder our main character Cal turned out the way they did, and learning about how she came to be has become pretty interesting. Calliope is the one narrating this whole story, and everytime he pops up I just want to skip all of this and get to his own story, but as I read more of this, I get more interested, and my urge to skip pages gets lost in my interest of what I'm currently reading. This was like how I had to read the first chapter of Harry Potter over 4 times to finally get past it, and once I did, it was toootally worth it. Everytime a novel seems to get boring, I try to just endure and read past it, and hopefully I'll get to something good, and that's what's happened so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home